Overseas Investment

Overseas Investment In New Zealand

Overseas investment in New Zealand assets is a specialist area and the consequences of making a mistake are significant.

You may need to apply to the Overseas Investment Office (OIO) for consent if you are an overseas person, or an associate of an overseas person, and you wish to acquire:

  • sensitive land or an interest in sensitive land (e.g. by buying shares in a company that owns sensitive land), or
  • business assets worth more than $100 million, or
  • fishing quota or an interest in fishing quota.

Persons requiring consent

You are an overseas person if you are neither a New Zealand citizen, nor ordinarily resident in New Zealand. A company, a partnership, a joint venture or a trust can also be an overseas person. You will also require consent if you are an associate of an overseas person. If you are intending to invest in New Zealand, you will require expert legal advice to know whether you or the entity that is going to acquire the sensitive assets is an overseas person or an associate of an overseas person.

Park Legal Barristers & Solicitors is specialised in this area of law. If you need our help, please do not hesitate to contact us by using our online help desk or simply by contacting us over the phone.


Contact Us

12-14 Como Street, Takapuna
Auckland, New Zealand
Phone: +64 9 475 5027
Fax: +64 9 475 5054
Email: info@parklegal.co.nz

Contact Us